Friday, May 21, 2010

Speaking of Music


One of my newest acquisitions to take back home with me is a traditional Korean musical instrument. It's called a haegum, and has just two strings. Since I once played the string bass pretty well, I figured mastering a two-stringed instrument would be a piece of cake, but realized quickly that I will have to actually spend a good amount of time practicing. Still, I am so excited! Alana and Brian picked it out and bought it for me in Seoul, and besides the fun and utility of it, it is a beautiful piece of art. My intention is not to become expert in playing Korean music, but I would love to be able to play hymns and simple folk songs.

2 comments:

Helena said...

Cool! I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

mamapickle said...

I have never seen anything like that. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.